Author. Artist. Fishbird. Unicorn
I make work for children, adults and once unicorns.
I write about loss, everyday grief and unexpected mourning.
I write about wonder.
Your being here is pretty wonderful.
I make projects too.
- About those unicorns I mentioned. They write letters with questions
about human life.
- About fishbirds, who are living everywhere
- Ever since learning about Pompeii in 4th grade, I've been interested in death.
- Between naps and feedings, I think about creativity as a parent
- And occasionally, when frustrated, I write about writing.
I keep making new things. This world is so full of things.
Visits & Teaching
I teach on mindfulness, empathy, writing, and silence, and I can't wait to share THE SOUND OF SILENCE with you at your school.
I've taught writing for The Writing Faculty, Kikokushijo Academy and at The Kingsley Montessori School.
I was thrilled to develop and teach a class on empathy at 826 Boston for MIT's The Dalai Lama Center for Ethics and Transformative Values and WGBH Boston.
This is a randomizer. With each refresh, view past lives of mine.
- I worked as an on-camera TV reporter for NHK-World in Tokyo
- Once, I was a cryptozoologist and storyteller at the Bigfoot Research Institute
- I was an editor at the Drum Literary Magazine.
- Dame Judi Dench never met me, but she was the patron of The London Academy of Theater where I studied.
- My cat's name was Smokey Snowball.
- For a year and a half I danced in Megan Metcalf's 29 Friends.
- For Tokyo Art Beat I was once an editor.
- I was an Earhart Fellow in Journalism and Sociology at Boston University
- I collected oral histories of multiracial people for the Brooklyn Historical Society
- I was a Yellow Arrow Archer
- I played Fuego in Breath, Boom at the Huntington Theater
- I am a founding board member of Union Docs in Brooklyn
- I was in the original cast of Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind in New York.
- I'm a graduate of the National Theater Institute, Fall '99
- I once gave out panini samples. For work. But mostly gave entire platters to homeless people. And nearly got fired.
- As a teenager I liked my parents.
- My novel in progress has unicorns and strange mourning rituals and So.Much.Tokyo.
- To date I've created 6 of my own mourning rituals.
- I made tea ceremonies for strangers at the Luggage Store Gallery.
- Salon Make is an awesome day long group art making project that you should be involved in. Write me.
Or be notified